Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Future Technology: Is it the future for Technology?

Things happened unexpectedly. There are things just happened and you have nothing to do but to accept it. Unexpected event happened last Saturday in our Future Technology class.



The original schedule was moved from 9 a.m to 1 p.m due to some conflict with our instructor's schedule. The class for that day was scheduled as our presentation of the topics given to us to discuss in class. Being the first reporter, I was very happy since I have an ample time to master my report. It was really a sign of relief for me. But the ample time seemed to be the reason to turn a fine day into a disaster.



When the time for us to start our report came, none of us has had the initiative to compile all the presentation slides of all reporters. The copying of presentation slides to the computer took almost an hour before it was completed. No one expected that our professor at that time was just holding of its temper and waited for the right time for him to release his saved energy to every person inside the laboratory.



The noisy lab turns into a silent room when Dr. Randy Gamboa starts his sermon. He started his sermon with a relation to our subject which is Future Technology. "Is this a future technology subject?, why was that I take too long to set-up a simple presentation", I don't remember the exact words came fro him but I think it sounds the same. The sermon continues. Everybody were stunned and have nothing to do but to listen to every words that Dr. Gamboa speaks. He specifically refers to the attitudes of all the students inside that laboratory, attitudes that don't belong to a 4th year graduating student. All his points were true and it really hurts everyone inside that laboratory. The sermon lasted for almost an hour. The simple day of reporting turns into long hours of sermon and enlightenment. No one wants to start the report at that time due to fear and shock.



Being the 1st reporter of that day, all the pressure is on my shoulders. The expectation was very high on the report because of the ample time for us to prepare. When I started my report, He said in a loud voice again "DO NOT READ!". My soul at that time seems went out from my body. Thanks to God I delivered my report well enough to impress him.



But that was just the start of the trial. We all the members of the group finished reporting. We were called to stay in front of the class. Again, the class seemed to be in shock again. We don't have a clue on what will happen next after the group was already in front. I was thinking that he will embarrass us in front of the class because of our nonsense report. But thank God it never happened. We were questioned by our classmates with regards to our report. After our classmate's questions, it was Dr. Gamboa's time to raise his question. At time time, I am very nervous on what the question will be, but the question is a personal one but also related to our topic. "Where are you now in terms of preparation for graduation"?. All the reporters were given the chance to answer the question. When it was my turn, at first I don't have the exact answer for that very personal yet a question that makes a lot of sense. I answered him in a calm voice "I am not yet prepared for the graduation, but it is not too late for me to cope up with my mistakes, the sermons seems to be the wake-up call for us that we have work to be done as students. It is important to plan your work but it is very important to work your plan". I believed he will never buy my answer. Because this was the answers by most of us every time he asked that question. Finally that moment ended with words from Dr. Gamboa, "at least you all verified that you are not yet ready to graduate."



The same fate happened to the 2nd group. After delivering their report, they were called to stand on front for the class to asked questions. The class discussion was very healthy at that time which makes Dr. Gamboa happy a little bit. But when his turn came, the class was in a silent mode again, listening on the question in which Dr. Gamboa will be asking. The question was a again a personal one. "How did you get here"?. "Is your attitude at home is the same with your attitude in school"? If I'm the one to answer that question, my answer would be exactly the same. I am very lazy in our home most of the time and the effect was that I brought it here in school. I am very lazy here in school. I spent most of my time here by just talking nonsense stuff with my classmates. That time showed some eyes on tears.



Dr. Randy Gamboa didn't do that sermon not to just trash talk us because of our lapses. He did that with a reason. We want us to be the best person in the future as what he has been doing in the past. He reminded us that our attitude will always be the attitude that we will be bringing in the future. He was really concerned on our future. He wants us to do the right thing, to show our parents and to ourselves that we deserves to be given the opportunity to learn. He just wants us, as what he has been doing from the start, to have a well disciplined student. He wholeheartedly said to all of us that he can never change who we are, but he is willing to help us change our future. I just want to say sorry sir to all our lapses from the start.



The class evolved to a new dimension, it is not dealing now with what the future of technology looks like, but what will be our future looks like.



"I want this subject be remembered not because of technology such as iPhone or Ipod, but because iTouch". - RSG.



Makes sense isn't it?

1 comment: